To address particular issues associated with our products, BCE issues from time to time Technical Notes. The latest notes are listed below and can be downloaded by clicking on the note's title.
- Technical note 1 addresses the importance of utilizing Snell's law and source wave raypaths when estimating interval velocities from DST.
- Technical note 2 addresses the importance of event detection in Passive (Micro-)Seismic Monitoring.
- Technical note 3 outlines the relationship between Peak Particle Velocity/Acceleration and Moment Magnitude in Passive (Micro-)Seismic Monitoring.
- Technical note 4 addresses the design of sources for optimal source wave generation in DST.
- Technical note 5 addresses the specification of the accelerometer cable for DST when using ICP® accelerometers.
- Technical note 6 outlines the advantages of implementing a tri-axial systems over a uni-axial system for DST investigations.
- Technical note 7 outlines the methodology utilized by BCE for reflection coefficient estimation for DST blind seismic deconvolution test bed simulation.
- Technical note 8 describes pulse source distortions which occur due to Total Internal Reflections (TIRs).
- Technical note 9 outlines a new BCE seismic signal processing algorithm which allows for the processing of seismograms which contain TIRs.
- Technical note 10 addresses the question of whether geophones or accelerometers should be utilized for SCPT.
- Technical note 11 outlines the application of batch Polarization Analysis for SH wave analysis in SCPT.
- Technical note 11A outlines the application of Individual Polarization Analysis (IPA).
- Technical note 12 outlines the importance of obtaining near surface interval velocity estimates and the application of the FMDSM technique when processing DST data.
- Technical note 13 outlines the recommended method for downhole seismic testing using SH source waves, describing the source requirements, the suggested set-up as well as the recommended approach for data acquisition and data analysis.
- Technical note 14 addresses whether it is preferable to implement pseudo-interval or true-Interval SCPT.
- Technical note 15 describes the parameters used for Seismic Trace Characterization.
- Technical note 16 outlines frequency spectrum “Bell-Curve” fitting for SNR estimation and as a component of DST interval velocity accuracy assessment.
- Technical note 17 outlines BCE's newly developed SC1,3-RAV™ 2016 normal move out (NMO) tomographic algorithm allows for 2D interval velocity imaging derived from DST NMO data sets.
- Technical note 18 outlines source wave "Smoothness" and "Peak Symmetry" parameters for seismic trace characterization. Now included in TN 15.
- Technical note 19 outlines the implementation of parallel processing in BCE seismic analysis software to decrease CPU requirements.
- Technical note 20 addresses data stacking for Downhole Seismic Testing.
- Technical note 21 outlines a guide for post DST data analysis and seismic signal processing based upon Seismic Trace Characterization (STC) and the associated 5 trace metrics.
- Technical Note 22 outlines a guide for changes in seismic data acquisition based on the Seismic Trace Characterization (STC) parameters described in Technical Note 15.
- Technical Note 23 outlines BCE's new FMDSM absorption analysis algorithm.
- Technical Note 24 addresses deriving absorption values with Downhole Seismic Testing data.
- Technical note 25 outlines the recommended implementation details of the FMDSM absorption analysis algorihm.
- Technical Note 26 outlines BCE's new tomographic stone column site characterization algorithm (updated 9/15/2019).
Baziw, E. and Verbeek, G. (2019), "Unique algorithm which takes into account source wave travel paths when estimating absorption values from DST data sets" to be presented and published in the DFI 44rd Annual Conference on Deep Foundations conference proceedings. October 14-17, 2019 - Chicago, IL.
Baziw, E., and Verbeek, G. (2016), “Frequency spectrum “bell-curve” fitting as a component of SCPT interval velocity accu-racy assessment.” In Proceedings of the 5th International Conference on Geotechnical Site Characterization (ISC-5), Queensland – Australia, 5-9 Sept. Australian Geomechanics Society, 1431-1436.
Baziw, E. and Verbeek, G. (2015), "Design of a Pseudo-Interval Autonomous SCPT System", ASTM International - Geotechnical Testing Journal (GTJ), vol. 38, no. 6, pp. 1-9.
Baziw, E. and Verbeek, G. (2014), “Total Internal Reflections in the Analysis of Downhole Seismic Testing Data”, published in the Proceedings of the 3rd International Symposium on Cone Penetration Testing, CPT'14, May 12-14, 2014 - Las Vegas, Nevada.
Baziw, E. and Verbeek, G (2014), “Identifying Critical Layers using SCPT and Seismic Source Moveout”, published in the Proceedings of the 3rd International Symposium on Cone Penetration Testing, CPT'14, May 12-14, 2014 - Las Vegas, Nevada.
Baziw, E. and Verbeek, G. (2012), “Passive (Micro-) Seismic Event Detection by Identifying Embedded “event” Anomalies within Statistically Describable Background Noise”, Pure appl. geophys., vol. 169, Issue 12, pp 2107-2126.
Baziw, E. and Verbeek, G. (2012), "Deriving Interval Velocities from Downhole Seismic Data”, published in the Proceedings of the 4th International Conference on Geotechnical Site Characterization (ISC 4), Porto de Galinhas, Pernambuco – Brazil, September 15-18, 2012.
Baziw, E. and Verbeek, G. (2012), "Continuous SCPT Signal Enhancement by Identifying, Quantifying and Extracting Frequency Anomalies within Statistical Describable Background Noise", published in the Proceedings of the 4th International Conference on Geotechnical Site Characterization (ISC 4), Porto de Galinhas, Pernambuco – Brazil, September 15-18, 2012.
Baziw, E. (2011). “Incorporation of Iterative Forward Modeling into the Principle Phase Decomposition Algorithm for Accurate Source Wave and Reflection Series Estimation”. IEEE Transactions on Geosci. Remote Sensing (TGRS), vol. 49, No. 2, pp. 650-660, Feb.
Baziw, E. (2009). Concepts in Downhole Seismic Testing. BCE Training Manual on the Theory and Application of Downhole Seismic Testing.
Baziw, E. (2007), "Implementation of the Principle Phase Decomposition Algorithm”, IEEE Transactions on Geosci. Remote Sensing (TGRS), vol. 45, No. 6, pp. 1775-1785, June.
Baziw, E. and Ulrych, T.J. (2006), "Principle Phase Decomposition - A New Concept in Blind Seismic Deconvolution”, IEEE Transactions on Geosci. Remote Sensing (TGRS), vol. 44, No. 8, pp. 2271-2281, Aug.
Baziw, E. (2005), "Real Time Seismic Signal Enhancement Utilizing a Hybrid Rao Blackwellised Particle Filter and Hidden Markov Model Filter", IEEE Geosci. Remote Sensing Letters, vol. 2, no. 4, pp. 418- 422, Oct.
Baziw, E., and Ulrych, T.J. (2004), "A Rao Blackwellised type algorithm for passive seismic event detection", In Proceedings of the 8th Technical Meeting of the Consortium for the Development of Specialized Seismic Techniques (CDSST 2004), Vancouver, 14 15 December, Department of Geophysics, University of British Columbia, Vancouver, Canada, pp. 135-164.
Baziw, E. (2004), "State Space Seismic Cone Minimum Variance Deconvolution". In Proceedings of the 2nd International Conference on Geotechnical Site Characterization (ISC 2), Porto, Portugal, 19 22 Sept. Millpress Science Publishers, pp. 835- 842.
Baziw, E. (2004), "Two and three dimensional imaging utilizing the seismic cone penetrometer ". In Proceedings of the 2nd International Conference on Geotechnical Site Characterization (ISC 2), Porto, Portugal, 19 22 Sept. Millpress Science Publishers, pp. 1611-1618.
Baziw, E., Nedilko, B, and Weir Jones, I (2004), "Microseismic Event Detection Kalman Filter: Derivation of the Noise Covariance Matrix and Automated First Break Determination for Accurate Source Location Estimation" , Pure appl. geophys. vol. 161, no. 2, pp. 303-329.
Baziw, E., and Weir Jones, I (2002), "Application of Kalman Filtering Techniques for Microseismic Event Detection", Pure appl. geophys., vol. 159, pp. 449-471.
Baziw, E. (2002), "Derivation of Seismic Cone Interval Velocities Utilizing Forward Modeling and the Downhill Simplex Method", Can. Geotech. J., 39(5), pp.1181-1192.
Baziw, E., Tichy, J, and de Caprona, G (2000),"Data Acquisition in Seismic Cone Penetration Testing". In Proceedings of the 3rd International Symposium on Integrated Technical Approaches to Site Characterization (ITASCE), Argonne, IL, 11 14 Sept. 2000. Argonne National Laboratory. pp. 69-72.
Baziw, E., Campanella, R.G., and Sully, J.P. (1989), "Interpretation of Seismic Cone Data Using Digital Filtering Techniques". In Proceedings of the 12thInternational Conference on Soil Mechanics and Foundation Engineering, Rio de Janeiro, 13 18 Aug. A.A. Balkema, Rotterdam.
Baziw (1993/1996) "Method for Determining Velocity and Confidence Level of Acoustic Waves in Penetrable Ground",U.S. Patent Number: 5,177,709, 1993/01/05; Canadian Patent: 2,077,387-1, 1996/01/09.
Baziw, E. (1996), "ECDIS Steering Algorithm for Vessel Autopilot", In Proceedings of the IEEE Position Location and Navigation Symposium (PLANS), Atlanta, Georgia, 22 26 April. IEEE Publication, pp. 103-113.
Baziw, E. (1994), "Dead Reckoning/Target Tracking in a ECDIS Environment", In Proceedings of the Institute of Navigation's National Technical Meeting, San Diego, California, 24 26 Jan. ION Publication, pp. 747-756.
Available for purchase: E-book by Erick Baziw, "Concepts in Downhole Seismic Testing", which describes all aspects of downhole seismic testing and the role it can play in geotechnical investigations. Book price: $75 USD.
To review Table of Contents and a summary of the book’s content, click here
To purchase book please e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org