- Technical note 1 addresses the importance of utilizing Snell's law and source wave raypaths when estimating interval velocities from DST.
- Technical note 2 addresses the importance of event detection in Passive (Micro-)Seismic Monitoring.
- Technical note 3 outlines the relationship between Peak Particle Velocity/Acceleration and Moment Magnitude in Passive (Micro-)Seismic Monitoring.
- Technical note 4 addresses the design of sources for optimal source wave generation in DST.
- Technical note 5 addresses the specification of the accelerometer cable for DST when using ICP® accelerometers.
- Technical note 6 outlines the advantages of implementing a tri-axial systems over a uni-axial system for DST investigations.
- Technical note 7 outlines the methodology utilized by BCE for reflection coefficient estimation for DST blind seismic deconvolution test bed simulation.
- Technical note 8 describes pulse source distortions which occur due to Total Internal Reflections (TIRs).
- Technical note 9 outlines a new BCE seismic signal processing algorithm which allows for the processing of seismograms which contain TIRs.
- Technical note 10 addresses the question of whether geophones or accelerometers should be utilized for SCPT.
- Technical note 11 outlines the application of batch Polarization Analysis for SH wave analysis in SCPT.
- Technical note 11A outlines the application of Individual Polarization Analysis (IPA).
- Technical note 12 outlines the importance of obtaining near surface interval velocity estimates and the application of the FMDSM technique when processing DST data.
- Technical note 13 SC3-RAVTM training manual - outlines the recommended method for DST data analysis and aquisition.
- Technical note 14 addresses whether it is preferable to implement pseudo-interval or true-Interval SCPT.
- Technical note 15 describes the parameters used for Seismic Trace Characterization.
- Technical note 16 outlines frequency spectrum “Bell-Curve” fitting for SNR estimation and as a component of DST interval velocity accuracy assessment.
- Technical note 17 outlines BCE's newly developed SC1,3-RAV™ 2016 normal move out (NMO) tomographic algorithm allows for 2D interval velocity imaging derived from DST NMO data sets.
- Technical note 18 outlines source wave "Smoothness" and "Peak Symmetry" parameters for seismic trace characterization. Now included in TN 15.
- Technical note 19 outlines the implementation of parallel processing in BCE seismic analysis software to decrease CPU requirements.
- Technical note 20 addresses data stacking for Downhole Seismic Testing.
- Technical note 21 outlines a guide for post DST data analysis and seismic signal processing based upon Seismic Trace Characterization (STC) and the associated 5 trace metrics.
- Technical Note 22 outlines a guide for changes in seismic data acquisition based on the Seismic Trace Characterization (STC) parameters described in Technical Note 15.
- Technical Note 23 outlines BCE's new FMDSM absorption analysis algorithm.
- Technical Note 24 addresses deriving absorption values with Downhole Seismic Testing data.
- Technical note 25 outlines the recommended implementation details of the FMDSM absorption analysis algorihm.
- Technical Note 26 outlines BCE's new tomographic stone column site characterization algorithm (updated 9/15/2019).
- Technical Note 27 addresses DST source wave dispersion.
- Technical Note 28 outlines BCE's suggested methodology for deriving source wave arrival times.
- Technical Note 29 (updated April 29, 2020) outlines BCE’s newly proposed cone penetration tip resistance deconvolution algorithm utilizing Complex Cepstrum Analysis.
- Technical Note 30 Implementation of a BRE-IFM smoother for qt estimation of noisy CPTU qm data.
- Technical Note 31 A Response to Geomil’s White Paper on SCPT.
- Technical Note 32 Hybrid Kalman and low pass frequency filtering technique to remove “spurious” cone bearing measurements.
- Technical Note 33 Fitting higher order polynomials to DST arrival time data sets for high resolution imaging.
- Technical Note 34 Proposed methodologies for estimating the cone bearing averaging/smoothing parameters.
- Technical Note 35 Proposed methodology for estimating true sleeve friction values (submitted for publication).
Baziw, E. and Verbeek, G. (2022), "Incorporation of SH source wave parameter "SH Polarization" within DST seismic trace characterization" accepted for publishing in the CPT'22 conference proceedings. June 8-10, 2022 – Bologna, Italy.
Baziw, E. and Verbeek, G. (2016), "Interval Velocity Classification Technique in Downhole Seismic Testing", ©Baziw Consulting Engineers Ltd., November 2016 - Vancouver, British Columbia.
Baziw, E. and Verbeek, G. (2015), "Design of a Pseudo-Interval Autonomous SCPT System", ASTM International - Geotechnical Testing Journal (GTJ), vol. 38, no. 6, pp. 1-9.
Baziw, E. and Verbeek, G (2014), “Identifying Critical Layers using SCPT and Seismic Source Moveout”, published in the Proceedings of the 3rd International Symposium on Cone Penetration Testing, CPT'14, May 12-14, 2014 - Las Vegas, Nevada.
Baziw, E. and Verbeek, G. (2012), "Deriving Interval Velocities from Downhole Seismic Data”, published in the Proceedings of the 4th International Conference on Geotechnical Site Characterization (ISC 4), Porto de Galinhas, Pernambuco – Brazil, September 15-18, 2012.
Baziw, E. (2011). “Incorporation of Iterative Forward Modeling into the Principle Phase Decomposition Algorithm for Accurate Source Wave and Reflection Series Estimation”. IEEE Transactions on Geosci. Remote Sensing (TGRS), vol. 49, No. 2, pp. 650-660, Feb.
Baziw, E. (2009). Concepts in Downhole Seismic Testing. BCE Training Manual on the Theory and Application of Downhole Seismic Testing.
Baziw, E. (2007), "Implementation of the Principle Phase Decomposition Algorithm”, IEEE Transactions on Geosci. Remote Sensing (TGRS), vol. 45, No. 6, pp. 1775-1785, June.
Baziw, E. and Ulrych, T.J. (2006), "Principle Phase Decomposition - A New Concept in Blind Seismic Deconvolution”, IEEE Transactions on Geosci. Remote Sensing (TGRS), vol. 44, No. 8, pp. 2271-2281, Aug.
Baziw, E. (2005), "Real Time Seismic Signal Enhancement Utilizing a Hybrid Rao Blackwellised Particle Filter and Hidden Markov Model Filter", IEEE Geosci. Remote Sensing Letters, vol. 2, no. 4, pp. 418- 422, Oct.
Baziw, E. (2004), "Two and three dimensional imaging utilizing the seismic cone penetrometer ". In Proceedings of the 2nd International Conference on Geotechnical Site Characterization (ISC 2), Porto, Portugal, 19 22 Sept. Millpress Science Publishers, pp. 1611-1618.
Baziw, E., Nedilko, B, and Weir Jones, I (2004), "Microseismic Event Detection Kalman Filter: Derivation of the Noise Covariance Matrix and Automated First Break Determination for Accurate Source Location Estimation" , Pure appl. geophys. vol. 161, no. 2, pp. 303-329.
Baziw, E. (2002), "Derivation of Seismic Cone Interval Velocities Utilizing Forward Modeling and the Downhill Simplex Method", Can. Geotech. J., 39(5), pp.1181-1192.
Baziw, E. (1996), "ECDIS Steering Algorithm for Vessel Autopilot", In Proceedings of the IEEE Position Location and Navigation Symposium (PLANS), Atlanta, Georgia, 22 26 April. IEEE Publication, pp. 103-113.
Available for purchase: E-book by Erick Baziw, "Concepts in Downhole Seismic Testing", which describes all aspects of downhole seismic testing and the role it can play in geotechnical investigations. Book price: $75 USD.
To review Table of Contents and a summary of the book’s content, click here
To purchase book please e-mail email@example.com